DISTRICT PROFILE & HISTORY
The Chenango County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWWD) was formed by federal, state and local legislation in 1940 to assist landowners with natural resource conservation. The Soil Conservation District Law was enacted into state legislation on April 23, 1940 with the approval of the Governor, Herbert Lehman, the State Senate and Assembly. In Chapter 9-B of the Consolidated Laws of New York State, the Declaration of policy reads,
"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today." Abraham Lincoln.
On October 14, 1940 the Chenango County Board of Supervisors formed the Soil and Water Conservation District.
"It is hereby declared to be the policy of the Legislature to provide for the conservation of the soil and soil resources of this state, and for the control and prevention of soil erosion, and thereby to preserve natural resources, assist in the control of floods, assist in the drainage of agricultural lands, prevent impairment of dams and reservoirs, assist in maintaining the navigability of rivers and harbors, preserve wildlife, protect the tax base, protect public lands, and protect and promote the health, safety and general welfare of the people of this state."
District Board Members
The District performs this task in partnership with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, the USDA Farm Services Agency, Cornell Cooperative Extension and the Upper Susquehanna Coalition. The SWCD unit of the state and local government and is governed by a five member board appointed Board of Supervisors. The five member board consists of two County Legislatures, one member from the Grange, one member from the Farm Bureau and a Member at Large who is responsible for representing the non-farming community.
The "Last Acre" of soil mapping for Chenango County's Soil Survey by USDA (SCS) NRCS staff, 1981.
The final touches are made on the SWCD's "new sign." The sign was built and installed by the District's Title VI crew, July 1978.